"More addictive than a goddam video game" - Balloon Juice

"One of my very favorite music blogs ever..." - Singer/Songwriter Emma Wallace

"Fascinating... really GREAT!!! You'll learn things about those tunes we all LOVE to play and blow on... SOD is required reading for my advanced students. It's fun, too!" - Nick Mondello of
AllAboutJazz.com

"I never let a day go by without checking it." - Bob Madison of Dinoship.com

"I had dinner the other night with some former WNEW staff members who spoke very highly of your work." - Joe Fay

Thursday, January 27, 2011

After You've Gone

By Turner Layton & Henry Creamer
1918

A major hit of the World War I era, this tune would eventually become enormously popular with jazz musicians, due to the ease upon which it can be improvised. It was first recorded by Marion Harris, and would also be used as the theme song a BBC TV series of the same name. It remains one of the most familiar standards prior to the 1920s.

Lyrics:

Now won't you listen dearie while I say,
how could you tell me that you're goin' away?
Don't say that we must part, don't break my aching heart
You know I've loved you truly many years, loved you night and day
How can you leave me, can't you see my tears?
Listen while I say

After you've gone, and left me crying
After you've gone, there's no denying
You'll feel blue, you'll feel sad
You'll miss the dearest pal you've ever had.

There'll come a time, now don't forget it
There'll come a time, when you'll regret it
Some day, when you grow lonely
You heart will break like mine and you'll want me only
After you've gone, after you've gone away.

After I'm gone, after we break up
After I'm gone, you're gonna wake up
You will find, you were blind
To let somebody come and change your mind.

After the years, we've been together
Their joy and tears all kinds of weather
Someday, blue and downhearted
You'll long to be with me right back where you started
After I'm gone, after I'm gone away.

Recorded By:

Ella Fitzgerald
Frankie Laine
Bessie Smith
Fiona Apple
Nina Simone

6 comments:

Hello Jodi said...

Great song! Coincidentally, I just arranged a medley of this song with Who's Sorry Now stuck in between the two verses, done very hot. My band will be performing it!

Bob said...

There is a superb Crosby recording of this -- I think you can find it on Bing Crosby and Some Jazz Friends, which is also a gem of a CD.

I LOVE THIS BLOG!

B-Sol said...

Jodi, that sounds fantastic! I'd love to hear it.

Oh, I've heard it, great stuff. And thanks!

Raquel Pereira said...

Great song and good job with the blog! I've started mine yesterday! :)

emma wallace said...

I LOVE this song! I love Harry Connick, jr's piano solo version.

B-Sol said...

Thanks, Maria! And Emma, I happen to be a big fan of the Django Reinhardt version, even though it has no lyrics.

Listen to The Jonathan Station